Skip to main content

WIP: T-34/76 More Detailing


I had initially wanted to replace the plastic handrails inlcuded in the kit but after rummaging thru my stuff, I realized I didn't have wire of similar thickness. Wanting to finish off this tank fast, I decided to use the plastic ones nevertheless.




Some of the attachment points called for drilling holes. My smallest drill bit though was still a tad too thick and I was worried that some of the detail might get ruined by the drill. I opted to use a thumbtack heated with a candle to punch little holes on the hull. The next hurdle was attaching the tiny handrails. Even with my smallest and finest tweezers, I had a heck of a time putting them in place as well as aligning them properly.



I also had to use a magnifying glass with higher magnification than the one I regularly use on the workbench. Suffice it to say, I really, really disliked the handrails! Another problem I had with them was the way they were position on the sprue. Instead of having the part attach to the sprue on one end of the rail, Trumpeter had the it attached from the center. Even with my sharpest blade, I couldn't get a nice, clean cut. Having to sand the lump of plastic in the middle of the rail was a bummer and cost me a lot of time.







One weird note though. Trumpeter had some handrails molded on the hull and on the turret already. Since the others were modelled separately, why have some molded on the hull and turret? If I make another one of these kits, I might sand off the molded in ones and replace everything with metal rails.



The turret received some love as well. I blocked off the viewing ports on the side since I read somewhere that these were for periscopes instead of manual viewing. A hole was also drilled into the single periscope. I was tempted to add some welding marks using putty but eventually didn't. I did add some though to a previous, bigger build on the same tank here.




More soon :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matchbox 1:76 Sherman Firefly 2-Color Kit

I woke up to a beautiful morning and after a good breakfast and a brisk walk around the house, I decided to work on my scale models. Now, I recently fubbed some paintjobs and I had left the models on my main workbench unfinished. With my airbrush still needing a new needle, painting was out of the question. The 1/35 Jagdtiger and SU-122 would have to wait. I had some 1/35 figures still on the workbench but i didn't feel like brush painting either. What I needed ws a simple, fast, uncomplicated out-of-the-box build. And a good cup of coffee. I eventually headed to my bodega and decided to crack open an old kit that had languished in my bodega for years. Browsing thru my collection of unassembled kits, I decided on the old Matchbox Sherman Firefly in 1/76 scale. I had bought this kit way back in the 70's I believe, part of my early collection of 1/72 and 1/76 tanks. Even though the Matchbox tanks were smaller than the ESCI ones, I liked them because of the mini dioramas

Migrating to Facebook

After a tragedy in the family and a slow return to my hobbies, I've realized that I've been posting more on Facebook. It's easier, faster and the audience response is faster. So, posting here might be spasmodic at best for the time being. Bear with me as I decide what to do with my blogs, thanks!

Dragon Models 1/16 Warrior: British Paratrooper "Red Devils"

        This is my first attempt at painting a large-scale figure. I like the way the Denison smock came out but the messy inking on the flesh parts bother me. Maybe I'll repaint those next time I break out the paints. This is the first time I tried painting a figure larger than 54mm. I got this model along with 3 other models from Dragon's plastic figures line. Painted with oils, acrylics and inks. The 1st Airborne Division was a military formation that was raised and fought during World War II. It suffered terrible casualties throughout the operations it undertook, especially during the Battle of Arnhem, the operation which made the division famous for its defence of Arnhem Bridge. The division was the first to use the maroon beret, now an internationally recognised symbol of elite airborne forces.  The distinctive maroon beret of the Parachute Regiment was first worn by the men of the Regiment when it went into action in North Africa in November 1942. T