Skip to main content

WIP: More work on the Russian Tank Destroyer SU-122






Most of the kit was partially built ages ago and some parts need regluing, resanding or replacing.I like the way this Tamiya kit designed the wheels. The parts fit perfectly. I hadn't realized that some of the parts were left to unglued and were just dry fitted for around a decade already without falling off! I also found the rive sprocket assembly quite clever, having no center rod as an axle but attaching directly to the underchassis but still freely locating. As you can see, the kit was designed to be motorized but I can't rememeber if it did come with a motor. The directions do not mention one so I believe the motor was an optional part. By the way, the directions of this kit are in Japanese, which I can't read so I go by the construction pictures.





The superstructure was quickly assembled but I found it too difficult to find the locator marks with the dark green plastic of the kit so I light sprayed a thin coat of primer. It made the task of locating the marks easier on the superstructure/fighting compartment but there were still some which eluded me. Instead, I'll be relying on reference photos, especially when it comes to attaching the stowage and other equipment.

 


The small valves, ports, etc. on the sides of the superstructure will have to wait until I get more reference pictures. The main gun, a 122 howitzer, is nicely done and I like the internal parts of the gun. Too bad most of it is inside the superstructure/fighting compartment.



Being a lazy git, I nixed the idea of changing the grab rails since I discovered that I ran out of wire gauge close to the size of the plastic ones. I also seem to be missing some of the visor hatches on the top of the superstructure/fighting compartment as well as the conical periscope. These will have to be remade then.




I'm also missing some of the brackets for two of the four external fuel cans mounted on the sides. Thgese will have to be scratchbuilt as well. Bit of trivia, I read somewhere that one of the cans was reserved for oil, rather than fuel.

Alll in all, a productive session. Hopefuly, I can finish this kit before Christmas. It had stayed on the to-do shelf for far too long already :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matchbox 1:76 Sherman Firefly 2-Color Kit

I woke up to a beautiful morning and after a good breakfast and a brisk walk around the house, I decided to work on my scale models. Now, I recently fubbed some paintjobs and I had left the models on my main workbench unfinished. With my airbrush still needing a new needle, painting was out of the question. The 1/35 Jagdtiger and SU-122 would have to wait. I had some 1/35 figures still on the workbench but i didn't feel like brush painting either. What I needed ws a simple, fast, uncomplicated out-of-the-box build. And a good cup of coffee. I eventually headed to my bodega and decided to crack open an old kit that had languished in my bodega for years. Browsing thru my collection of unassembled kits, I decided on the old Matchbox Sherman Firefly in 1/76 scale. I had bought this kit way back in the 70's I believe, part of my early collection of 1/72 and 1/76 tanks. Even though the Matchbox tanks were smaller than the ESCI ones, I liked them because of the mini dioramas

Migrating to Facebook

After a tragedy in the family and a slow return to my hobbies, I've realized that I've been posting more on Facebook. It's easier, faster and the audience response is faster. So, posting here might be spasmodic at best for the time being. Bear with me as I decide what to do with my blogs, thanks!

WIP Delta Force Somalia

I dug up my WIP of Dragon Model's 1:35 Delta Force (Somalia 1993) and prepped them again for painting. I'm hoping to do a better paint job this time around and not surrender to lethargy:) DML's kit features four US soldiers as they would have appeared in operations during the Battle of Mogadishu '93 during the events chronicled in Mark Bowden's "Blackhawk Down: A Story of Modern War" and Ridley Scott's film of the same name. Here's a helpful review of this 1994 kit by Peter Ong at TRACK-LINK.  As an aside, the reviewer notes that the M24 sniper rifle shown in the box art and supplied with one of the figures was probably not used during the said events. Instead, the figure would have been more probably armed with an M14 or a shotgun instead. In addition, there is also doubt on the use of  the H&K MP5SD3 in Somalia. Since I have four more boxes of the same kit in storage, I may use some of the weapons there