Skip to main content

Trumpeter 1:72 T-34/76 WIP


Another quick build.

Frankly, I'm surprised at Trumpeter. The kit has really nice pieces inside the drab, uninspiring packaging. The box art is "meh..." but the sprues have some lovely detailed parts. I really like how the road wheels look with the crisp detailing and the nice tow cable rope.



The plastic is fragile though and the wheels are not meant to roll freely but are instead glued on. Be careful with these because the pegs are quite fragile. I accidentally broke one when I was dry fitting one of the wheels.

Hull details look a bit soft but with the driver's hatch and the machine gun attached, it starts to look ok. The antenna holder seems a bit oversized, but when attached, again it seems okay. The headlight is very basic and I may subsitute something form the parts box soon. The large hooks look nice and robust.


The turret came in two vertical halves and the top part as a separate piece. The hatch is molded on and the periscope looks out of scale... it's too big! A quick check with the Dragon kit reveals that they seem to share the same periscope size. I'll have to correct this before painting. Have a look at the 1/35 version I made earlier here.

I may have misunderstood the instructions regarding the main gun but it seems that it will have to be glued in place and can't be made to move. I also damaged part of the mantlet when I cut too close with my sprue cutter. A little sanding kinda evened out the part but a little putty might be needed. I'll hold that off until I get to painting this little girl.


I left off attaching the grab rails on the turret as well as the hull because I'm still looking into the option of changing them with metal ones. Much like what I did with my 1:35 T-34/76 from Tamiya.



Some of the grill detail is a bit soft and I'm not sure if the stowage boxes are of the right scale. eyeballing them, I feel they're a tad too small and thin. I'll have to check this with my references. I couldn't be bothered to do it now though because I only had a few minutes before bedtime to make this out-of-the-box:) Li'l ol me needs his beauty sleep dontcha know...



The spacing of the rear exhausts seem a bit too far apart too but then again, I'll have to check with my references before anything official is noted, hehe.


Anyway, the result is a fast, no-frills, no-nonsense enjoyable build. For a time, modelmaking for me had turned into a scary, stressful endeavor, with too many real and imagined considerations spoiling the enjoyment of building a model. Having built this one with no pressure to "get things right" means that the money i plunked down for this toy was well spent and chalked up as "leisure time benefits." And I only had one glass of iced tea during the whole build!


'Nuff said and until paint is sprayed on this baby -- model on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matchbox 1:76 Sherman Firefly 2-Color Kit

I woke up to a beautiful morning and after a good breakfast and a brisk walk around the house, I decided to work on my scale models. Now, I recently fubbed some paintjobs and I had left the models on my main workbench unfinished. With my airbrush still needing a new needle, painting was out of the question. The 1/35 Jagdtiger and SU-122 would have to wait. I had some 1/35 figures still on the workbench but i didn't feel like brush painting either. What I needed ws a simple, fast, uncomplicated out-of-the-box build. And a good cup of coffee. I eventually headed to my bodega and decided to crack open an old kit that had languished in my bodega for years. Browsing thru my collection of unassembled kits, I decided on the old Matchbox Sherman Firefly in 1/76 scale. I had bought this kit way back in the 70's I believe, part of my early collection of 1/72 and 1/76 tanks. Even though the Matchbox tanks were smaller than the ESCI ones, I liked them because of the mini dioramas

Migrating to Facebook

After a tragedy in the family and a slow return to my hobbies, I've realized that I've been posting more on Facebook. It's easier, faster and the audience response is faster. So, posting here might be spasmodic at best for the time being. Bear with me as I decide what to do with my blogs, thanks!

WIP Delta Force Somalia

I dug up my WIP of Dragon Model's 1:35 Delta Force (Somalia 1993) and prepped them again for painting. I'm hoping to do a better paint job this time around and not surrender to lethargy:) DML's kit features four US soldiers as they would have appeared in operations during the Battle of Mogadishu '93 during the events chronicled in Mark Bowden's "Blackhawk Down: A Story of Modern War" and Ridley Scott's film of the same name. Here's a helpful review of this 1994 kit by Peter Ong at TRACK-LINK.  As an aside, the reviewer notes that the M24 sniper rifle shown in the box art and supplied with one of the figures was probably not used during the said events. Instead, the figure would have been more probably armed with an M14 or a shotgun instead. In addition, there is also doubt on the use of  the H&K MP5SD3 in Somalia. Since I have four more boxes of the same kit in storage, I may use some of the weapons there